Thursday 7 May 2015

Real Men Eat Plants

To me there is nothing more sexy than compassion. Recently, some of the stigma surrounding veganism has been lifted thanks to an increase in celebrity endorsement. Here are my top 10 sexy vegan males. Easy on the eyes and the conscience!

10. Benjamin Zephaniah

The beautiful poet has been vegan since age 15, when as the only black person in his school, he counted animals amongst his friends. And this vegan lifestyle seems to have paid off. In an interview with The Guardian he says, "I'm 52, do kung-fu, running and football alongside 20-year-olds, and still none of them can beat me. This isn't bragging – I'm just making a point."



9. Peter Dinklage

Most famous for his role as Tyrion Lannister in HBO series 'Game of Thrones', this actor may be small in stature but he has huge views when it comes to the ethical treatment of animals. Vegetarian since his teens, he recently made the switch to veganism and has been a great advocate by working with PETA to encourage people to ditch eggs, dairy and meat with film 'Face Your Food'. The film may be difficult viewing, but Peter makes it easy to be ethical.


8. Stic.Man 

This Hip Hop artist, of Dead Prez fame, initially gave up animal products after suffering from gout in his leg. And guess what? The plant based diet he chose cured the gout and gave him a banging body to boot! Using his musical clout to address food matters and other political issues is all in a days work for Stic. Check out this great interview with Dead Prez by Our Hen House.


7. Saul Williams

American rapper, singer, musician, poet, writer, and actor Williams is best known for his blend of poetry and alternative hip hop. And if that isn't enough to impress you, Williams is also an animal rights and political activist. I only actually discovered Saul Williams when researching this post, but boy is he one hot (vegan) tamale!
6. Steve-O

Now I can relate a lot to number 6 on my list, who is renowned for his crazy stunts on Jackass. He has overcome addiction and bipolar, aligns with his compassionate nature by following a healthy vegan lifestyle, plus he likes his ink. Of the benefits of ditching animal products he wrote"Almost as soon as I went vegan, people started telling me that my skin looked great, and that I appeared younger, slimmer, and healthier. I'm convinced that of all the changes I've made to my lifestyle, it's the adoption of a vegan diet that has been best for me - physically, mentally, and certainly spiritually."
I feel the same Steve-O... shall we date?


5. Joaquin Phoenix

Committed vegan and activist Joaquin Phoenix has avoided all animal products since age 3. On narrating vegan advocacy movie 'Earthlings' he says " Of all the films I have ever made, this is the one that gets people talking the most". A very true statement, as it is this documentary that made me and many of my vegan friends choose a plant based diet.Couple that with his impressive acting skills and striking looks and the result is one super vegan hunk.



4. Russell Brand

You would have to live under a rock to not know who Russell Brand is. This longtime vegetarian, comedian, author and actor turned political broadcaster, went vegan after watching 'Forks Over Knives' in 2011. He has has since blazed the animal rights trail by advocating veganism to his 5 million followers on Twitter. Now I don't know about you, but I find that pretty damn sexy!


3. Casey Affleck

This actor comes from strong vegan roots. Married to famous vegan Summer Phoenix and best friends with her brother Joaquin (Number 5), Casey made the switch to a plant based diet in 2005. He says, "When people ask me why I don’t eat meat or any other animal products, I say, ‘Because they are unhealthy and they are the product of a violent and inhumane industry'".
 He may be the strong silent type, but with views like these and those good looks, he is straight in as number 3.



2. Woody Harrelson

Woody is probably the most famous vegan on my list, and he gains extra sexy points for using his notoriety to promote veganism to his many adoring international fans (me included!). As a true eco-warrior he has chosen to live a raw vegan lifestyle, and champions eating local, organically grown, unprocessed, uncooked plant based foods, for health, environmental and ethical reasons.
In an interview by Esquire, aptly titled 'Who doesn't love Woody Harrelson'  he says of his early years trying to make it as an actor in New York,
 "I was on a bus and some girl sees me blowing my nose. I had acne all over my face, which I'd had for years and years. And she's like: 'Hey, you're lactose intolerant. If you quit dairy, all these symptoms you got will be gone in three days.' I was like twenty-four. And I was like, No way. But three days later: gone". 
I must say that all these years later, the raw stuff is still working out for you!




1. Jared Leto

Call me biased, but I have had a crush on Leto since the 90's when he got me hot under my school shirt in as Jordan Catalano in 'My So-Called Life'. Luckily for me, Leto also has substance as well as those brooding good looks. He is a multi-award winning actor, super talented vocalist, multi-instrumentalist and main songwriter in band '30 Seconds to Mars' and he has been a longtime vegan and yogi, crediting this lifestyle for his healthy look and physique. If you ever need a yoga buddy Jared, you know where I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment