Monday 25 May 2015

Restaurant Review: HOST, Liverpool

Welcome to the first of a series of restaurant reviews that I will be posting,with the hope to help you navigate your way around the world of plant-based dining in Liverpool, the Northwest and beyond. I will be eating my way through a range of eateries, from vegetarian/vegan restaurants to those where I have to scour the menu for that elusive vegan option so that you don't have to.
HOST situated on Hope Street, Liverpool
Since making the transition to a plant based diet in February 2014, one of the main struggles I have faced is learning how to eat out with my carnivorous friends. However, more and more vegan friendly options are popping up all over the city, which is making my journey much easier and fun too!
HOST is found on Hope Street in the 'cultural district' of Liverpool. This area is full of restaurants and is a renowned  destination for foodies. This multi award-winning Pan-Asian diner, nestled in between the 2 iconic Liverpool cathedral, has pioneered vegan inclusiveness by offering a separate vegan friendly menu for a while now. As it is right on my doorstop it seemed the perfect place for my debut restaurant report.
We chose to visit the restaurant without booking a table at around 8pm on a Thursday evening. Although the place was buzzing, there was no problem getting a table and we were seated straight away. We were handed standard menus that had a selection of vegan options, however luckily I had checked in the window beforehand I realised that the menus were not completely up to date with all the options free from animal products. I asked the waitress about this, and she was happy to offer me a separate vegan menu, which had the full list of available options.
Comprehensive vegan friendly menu at HOST on my visit in May 2015.
I was really happy with the selection of Thai, Chinese and Japanese fusion cuisine on offer. It is not often that you find such a well rounded list that you are 100% sure you can eat. As it was getting late and it had been a long day, I chose to skip nibbles and starters and decided on a main and dessert. Although the service was friendly, the one quibble I do have is that it took a while for our order to be taken. Our waiter checked on us after we were seated and offered us water, but failed to return after that for a good 20 minutes. However, after that the food was served quickly, was hot and fresh, and the bill and additional water were served in good time. This is only a very small nuance and had I not had such a long day, and wasn't as hungry, then this is probably not something I would have noticed or commented on.

My white miso and udon noodle soup main was authentic and delicious. Miso soup is a staple of mine as it is so nutritious, easy to cook and satisfying, so I am not stranger to what a good Japanese miso should taste like. The saltiness of the dashi (stock) was spot on, indicating a kombu (dried kelp base) with white miso melted through it. The udon noodles, edamame and tofu were a hearty and satisfying addition, while the broccoli and spinach perked the dish up and gave it a modern twist. Their are two criticisms that I have regarding the dish. Firstly there was no butternut squash as advertised on the menu. Butternut squash is one of my favourite vegetables and was one of the reasons I picked the soup. I think the sweetness of the squash would have added another flavour dimension and texture that would work particularly well. I also found there was a lack of fresh coriander in the dish. When I was lucky enough to get a mouthful with coriander then the whole dish was brought to life with that fresh, distinctive taste. Unfortunately, I only found the right balance of this in 2 mouthfuls and feel that a good deal more of the herb would have lifted the dish to the next level. At almost £10 for a soup that contains none of the expensive animal products that the meat and fish dishes do, I expect to see a good variety and portion of vegetables and herbs and to see what is offered on the menu.

White Miso and Udon Noodle Soup

Any criticism I had with the main were soon forgotten when I was served my dessert. Cakes, pastries, ice cream, desserts, in fact all the sweet things, are what I particularly miss since ditching animal products. I was super excited to see a dairy and egg free cake on the menu, so it didn't take me long to decide on the carrot cake for afters. The cake was warm, moist, sweet, filled with nuts and big juicy raisins, and spiced to absolute perfection. It was topped with a scrumptious alternative to the traditional cream cheese topping that comes with carrot cake, a light creamy topping made from coconut cream and seasoned with green cardamon. And as if that wasn't enough, the dish came with a side of mango sorbet covered in pistachio nuts. The texture of the sorbet was divine. Thick, luscious, soft, with the unbeatable taste of fresh mango. I would wholehearted challenge any vegan doubters to taste this dessert and tell me it is not a match for its dairy and egg filled opponent! I am actually kicking myself for not trying to get the recipe, and for the cake alone I will certainly be back.

Spiced Carrot Cake with Mango Sorbet
All in all, I think that HOST are providing a high class culinary experience for those of us who choose to live a vegan lifestyle. There may have been some slight  mistakes on the night, but this does not put me off returning and spending my cash here. Real effort has been made to provide a menu for those who choose a cruelty free diet, that is a match for the meaty offers on the menu. The chefs have obviously chosen to create exciting options and I vow to visit regularly to check on how the menu evolves.

To keep up with updates and information yourself, please find HOST on Facebook and Twitter
Please feel free to comment on your experiences at HOST below.

Big love,

The Curly Vegan



No comments:

Post a Comment